Car theft is on the rise in England and Wales – what precautions can you take?
Keyless systems are a brilliant convenience for drivers – how great is it to be able to start your car without ever taking your keys out of your pocket? However, they are also making theft easier too.
The number of car theft cases has increased by 15 percent compared to 2016-17, and up by 40 percent over the last five years according to figures released by vehicle tracking and telematics firm Tracker.
It’s figures say that 80% of stolen vehicles recovered last year were taken without using the owner’s keys.
They explain that criminals work together using an electronic signal relay to intercept a key fob signal usually from within the victim’s home.
So what can you do to help to secure your vehicle?
- Keep your keys in a metal tin or cabinet. The relay devices can receive signals through walls, doors and windows but not metal.
- Consider a crook lock or wheel clamp to deter thieves.
- Park your car in a secure setting – can you add a locking gate to your driveway?
- Park your car in your garage if you can.
- Invest in a tracking device so that if you are unlucky enough to have your car stolen, the police have a better chance of locating it.
To read more of our articles visit https://www.littlegreencarleasing.com/blog